A Day in the Life: End of Summer Vacation

So, I went back to work this past Monday. Cue the tears 😦 Before I did, I wanted to capture another day in the life since things have changed a bit since my last one when Kyler was only 3 1/2 weeks old. What better time to do this than one of our last days of summer? This was purposefully a very laid-back day. I really wanted a relaxing weekend at home where we didn’t really do much or go anywhere, after a few exhausting travel weekends and before life got crazy with work again. Here is what our day was like Saturday, August 22nd to Sunday, August 23rd, when Kevin was almost 3 years old and Kyler was 3 months old.

5:00 a.m. My alarm goes off. So early for a Saturday but I’m meeting friends for a long run. I quickly make myself some coffee and toast with peanut butter and honey (that got a little burnt because I was half asleep and forgot it was in the toaster). After eating it I get dressed in my running clothes and finish getting ready to go.


5:36 a.m. I pump and leave a bottle on my husband’s nightstand for when Kyler wakes up. I’m so thankful he takes a bottle so easily, giving me the freedom to meet my friends for runs and things like that!


5:50 a.m. I leave my house to make the drive south to Fredericksburg. I don’t always drive somewhere to do my long run, but this week my running buddies and I decided to since it had been a while and we love running in this town. I check the weather before I leave and it looks GLORIOUS! I love that fall is coming!


6:10 a.m. I arrive at the park where we are beginning our run. I’m meeting up with some ladies from my local Moms Run This Town group. I know some of them, but some of them I have never met. It’s such a cool way to get to know other people that have motherhood and running in common!

6:30 a.m. After waiting for everyone to arrive and chatting for a few minutes we begin our run!


6:50 a.m. Meanwhile at home… Kyler wakes up and my husband gives him his 4 ounce bottle I pumped earlier. Kevin wakes up a few minutes after that and they have breakfast.

7:50 a.m. And we’re finished! I was only planning on running 6 miles, but I was feeling great and got caught up in conversation so I ended at a little over 8 miles.


8:15 a.m. I arrive back home and am so happy to see my boys! I’m also happy to see that my amazing hubby has a yummy smoothie waiting on me [this recipe, plus almond butter]. He’s the best.


8:30 a.m.  Kyler falls asleep. I keep drinking my smoothie and play with Kev. He’s really into this LeapPad that his grandma gave him lately.


9:00 a.m. I (finally) head upstairs to take a much needed shower!

9:20 a.m. Kyler is ready to eat again. He’s been eating every 2.5 – 3.5 hours lately, about 7 times a day. I feed him in my bedroom and Kevin folds laundry. Well, he folds up his diaper inserts for me. I have trained him well! 🙂 Diaper changes for both kids as well.


10:00 a.m. We have a mini photo shoot. Since Kyler is 3 months exactly today we dress him up in his onesie with his monthly sticker on it. Then I decide to put him in the outfit we received from our friends in Germany – his very own lederhosen! I practically pass out from how cute he looks.



10:45 a.m.  Kyler’s asleep again. This kid LOVES his sleep! I guess the excitement of the photo shoot tired him out.

11:00 a.m. I make my way downstairs and work on cleaning up the main floor. I also hard boil some eggs for the upcoming week.

11:45 a.m. I start feeling hungry for lunch earlier than usual, thanks to my long run. I am not in the mood for anything warm, so I decide to make a sort of “tasting plate” of random veggies to dip in hummus with pretzels and hard boiled eggs. It hit the spot!


11:55 a.m. While I’m eating Kyler wakes up and is hungry. It’s pretty rare that I eat without a baby on me lately so I’m used to it. While I’m feeding him my hubby makes Kevin some lunch.


12:45 p.m. Oops, I fell asleep feeding Kyler thanks to my run that morning – with my boob out and all! LOL. I’ll spare you the pic of that (my husband did take one though, haha!). We do some tummy time, which he has gotten really good at recently. My husband puts Kevin down for his nap around this time as well. Diaper changes for both kids again!


1:00 p.m. Kyler’s still happy on his activity mat, so I clean up the living room and start a load of laundry.

1:45 p.m. Time to relax a bit! I edit the photos I took that morning, and then catch up on some DVRed shows while snuggling with my littlest boy as he sleeps again. It feels so good to sit and zone out for a little bit!

2:20 p.m. Sadly my relaxation time is over because I have some work to do. With school starting on Monday I have to prepare to leave some training sessions on the first day. While working on that I eat a raspberry fig bar for a little snack.


2:45 p.m. Kyler’s awake and hungry again! And also needs a diaper change from a BIG poop!

3:30 p.m. Kevin’s up from his nap. He slept for over 2 hours, which is awesome! His naps have been hit or miss these days. After a diaper change [can this kid be potty trained already?] he wants to play with his brother while he does more tummy time. We are really pushing the tummy time because he prefers to sleep on one side of his head, and his beautiful 6-8 hour stretches of sleep are making that side a little flat. While the boys play my husband goes to pick up our car from where it’s getting serviced near our house, and I clean up some more.


4:40 p.m. Feed Kyler again!

5:06 p.m. And he’s out again! We start making dinner, which is easy because we’re using one of the very last freezer meals that I made when I was pregnant: Tortilla Soup! Yum. I bake up some corn tortilla strips and cut up avocado to put on top. It’s so good, and Kevin likes it too!

5:35 p.m. We eat! Kyler’s awake again and he joins us in the kitchen in his bouncy seat.



6:10 p.m. A little more playtime before the boys go to bed. I hang out with a drooly baby while the toddler works on his new obsession with puzzles.


Check out the drool on that shirt!


6:45 p.m. It’s bath time for the boys [all 3 of them!] LOL. They love it! Kyler isn’t a huge fan of the bath but he loves taking a shower.


6:55 p.m. Pajamas and book reading.



7:10 p.m. I leave with Kyler to feed him again while my husband finishes getting Kevin ready for bed.

7:30 p.m. Kevin reads in his bed for a little while before falling asleep. I love that he does this because I used to do it too when I was young.

7:40 p.m. Kyler is finished eating and very sleepy, so I put him down in his crib earlier than usual. He has been going down around 8:30 but I try to look for and follow his cues. I have to put a burp cloth on the side of his head to make him lay on the side that isn’t flat.


7:50 p.m. After getting Kyler down I come downstairs and notice that my husband’s car keys are gone. When he gets back home he has ice cream! He wanted to surprise me with it. It hit the spot!


8:10 p.m. After eating my ice cream I spend some time working on the puzzle I started the day I went into labor. It has been a LONG and slow process but I’m making progress. I really love working on it because it relaxes me and helps me wind down for bed.


10:15 p.m. I start to get really tired, so I pump (I’ve been doing this before I go to sleep since I dropped his dream feed because otherwise I wake up WAY too full), and then get ready for bed.


10:30 p.m. SLEEP!

2:23 a.m. Baby wakes up to eat. He had a good sleep stretch of about 6 hours 45 minutes… I’ll take it! After feeding him I change his diaper and put him back in his crib.

3:20 a.m. Back to sleep for both of us.

6:30 a.m. I wake up to hungry baby noises after another 3+ hour sleep stretch and we’re up for the day!


And that was a 24 hour snapshot in our lives with an almost 3 year old and a 3 month old. That’s about as relaxing as it gets around here these days, but I love it! The next time I do a DITL post I’ll be working full-time (wahhh!). It will be interesting to see what changes between now and then!

Previous “Day in the Life” posts:

One response to “A Day in the Life: End of Summer Vacation

  1. Pingback: A Day in the Working Mama Life | Run Inspired

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s