Mom & Baby #2: Week 2

Another week has flown by! Kyler is 2 weeks old as of yesterday. This week was easier in some ways and challenging in other ways. Here is how mom and baby are doing and a recap of week 2.



Kyler is still a super laid-back and easy baby. We only had one day/night that was a little rough, and I think he was going through a growth spurt. Other than that, he’s either alert and happy or asleep. That’s basically it!


I just took him to his 2 week pediatrician appointment on Friday and it went really well. I was so excited to see that he surpassed his birth weight of 7 lb. 10 oz. and is now weighing in at an even 8 pounds! She said that was awesome weight gain, and that I can let him sleep as long as he wants at night now. Woo hoo! They also repeated his hearing test, since he failed in his right ear initially due to having leftover fluid in there from birth. He passed this time with no issues. Kyler was so proud, he was showing off his muscles at the appointment 🙂


Speaking of sleep, so far he is doing pretty awesome in this department. His nighttime stretches are now 3-4 hours, and then he takes little catnaps during the day. I think all of this sleep makes him extra happy when he’s awake. Before I knew his weight gain I didn’t want to let him sleep longer than 4 hours at night, but now that he’s gaining well I’m curious to see how long he will go.


Nursing is going really well, and I’m so thankful for that. I’m not painfully engorged anymore, and we are getting into a good rhythm. It’s also a lot more comfortable since our birth assistant helped with his latch and positioning. Since he sleeps in longer stretches at night, he is still making up for it during the day by feeding every 2 hours or so. He usually will eat from both sides without any issues. Supply does not seem to be a problem whatsoever yet, which is so nice! This boy loves to eat.

Screen Shot 2015-06-05 at 7.44.30 PM

Milk drunk!

Since nursing was going so well we decided to introduce a pacifier right before he turned 2 weeks. I noticed he was wanting to use me as a pacifier basically all day, and while I let him do that occasionally, sometimes mama just needs a break! Since then he’s really liked having the pacifier when he needs it and it hasn’t affected breastfeeding at all. We’ll see how long it lasts though… Kevin loved his pacifier too until he refused to take it anymore at 5 months!


One of the things our pediatrician mentioned at the appointment was how vocal he is already. I have definitely noticed this too. He has officially found his voice. He’s constantly making noises, cooing, and “talking” to us. He’s also been full of smiles lately. It’s so much fun!


We’ve been working on tummy time every day and Kyler’s neck strength has really improved. It is so funny to watch him on his activity mat because he kicks his legs like crazy like he wants to crawl. Umm, no little boy! Not for a long time please! Twice now he has kicked and moved around so much that he flipped himself over to his back. I thought it was just a fluke the first time but then it happened again. WTF. He is only 2 weeks old!


I have felt a LOT better this week. I wouldn’t say I’m at 100% yet, more like 75%, but that’s progress. I think it helped that we didn’t have anymore visitors until late this week, and I was at home with just Kyler from Monday to Thursday. This gave me a chance to really rest, take it easy, and enjoy the newborn snuggles!


At this point my bleeding is minimal, and I never have contractions while nursing anymore (thank God!). Like I mentioned earlier, I’m not engorged anymore either- so the main sources of my discomfort at the beginning are pretty much gone. I’m still having trouble going to the bathroom occasionally, and I think I may have some hemorrhoid issues going on (sorry for the TMI). I had them after Kevin’s birth too. No fun 😦

Screen Shot 2015-06-05 at 7.44.04 PM

The day I gave birth vs. 10 days postpartum. The human body is amazing!

One of the things that has really helped me feel better physically was going to the chiropractor again. I was feeling really sore in my neck and upper back from all the nursing, and he helped with that. He also worked on my lower back and pelvis, which were still a little out of whack from birth. I left there feeling like a new woman and I can’t wait to go back next week!

Here is the body after two weeks. I gained a total of 30 pounds by the time I delivered, and after a week I had lost 16. This week I lost an additional 4 pounds, putting me at 140. 10 more pounds to go until I am back at pre-pregnancy weight.

DSCN4451  DSCN4452

I have noticed that I’ve had more energy this week too. I’m able to do more around the house in terms of very light chores (cleaning up, laundry). I was also able to get out and walk a few times. I kept it short though, since it was really hot this week and also because after about 15-20 minutes of walking I start to feel sore in my pelvic area. I am definitely trying to take it slow.


A morning walk with my littlest one

Screen Shot 2015-06-05 at 7.44.40 PM

After dinner walk with all my boys

I’m still so unbelievably hungry, but I did make better food choices this week for the most part. I feel like I’m constantly eating, so I have no idea how I’m still losing weight. I feel like I burn through food so quickly! I saw the picture below on Facebook and it made me laugh 🙂



This week gave us a little run for our money emotionally. We had to deal with some stressful, badly timed issues. Issue #1 was our AC breaking on one of the hottest days of the year. We were without AC for a few days and it was so, so difficult. We were all uncomfortably hot and it cost us a good amount of money to fix. Not great timing considering that some of my maternity leave is unpaid, but what can you do. That’s what savings are for I guess! Issue #2 was that we randomly had a woodpecker start pecking away at our house, right by our bedroom window. It is so loud and keeps waking us up, which really sucks when you also have a newborn who is waking up at night. Sigh… The woodpecker is really destroying the siding on our house and had us worried that there were insects in our house or something. We had it checked out and there were no signs of insects, so hopefully he’s doing this because he’s looking for a mate like I read online, and he’ll be gone soon!


Stripped down in our hot house!

Another issue has been Kevin’s behavior. The transition to big brother has been a little bit challenging for him. He still has a lot of good, sweet moments, but when he has a bad moment, it’s pretty bad. Lots of regression going on, temper tantrums, wanting to act like a baby, all the typical things I expected. We’re working through it with him and I know it will just take time.

Screen Shot 2015-06-05 at 7.44.18 PM

Since I was feeling guilty about not being able to give Kevin as much of my time as I used to and he was acting out, I wanted to make sure that my husband and I both get one-on-one time with him as much as possible. I started by taking him out on a mommy-son date for ice cream. We were only gone for about 30 minutes, but he was so excited to go out with just me and loved the special attention. It made me really happy too. I love this boy 🙂

Screen Shot 2015-06-05 at 7.43.43 PM

Now onto the positive! It was so nice be at home with just Kyler from Monday to Thursday, once my husband went back to work and Kevin went to daycare. This really gave me a chance to rest and focus on bonding with my new baby. We did a lot of snuggling and skin-to-skin, and I made sure to take advantage of nap time!  It was also good for Kevin to resume his normal routine of going to daycare, where he is able to see his friends and keep busy. The plan is to have to go to daycare for a couple weeks until I feel ready to have both of them at home with me. Eek! Just thinking about that makes me a little nervous.

On Thursday evening my aunt from Oregon came into town. She did the same thing when Kevin was born 2 1/2 years ago. She has been a very good playmate for Kevin, which is really helpful while I’m busy with the baby. It’s really nice because I don’t get to see her very often since she lives across the country. She’s here for a few more days and we have some fun weekend plans in store!


Finally, the last thing that I have really enjoyed is just being able to relax and spend time with my husband, especially with some of the stressful things that happened this week. Having a new baby is stressful enough and then when other unexpected things come up in the midst of all of that, it can put a lot of tension into a marriage. While it hasn’t been perfect, I really think that these last couple of weeks have brought us even closer together. The day our AC went out we tried to make the best of it by heading outside, playing in a baby pool and having a drink. I love my hubby 🙂


Week 2 is in the books! I can’t wait to see what week 3 has in store!

Previous Mom & Baby posts:


Week 1 vs. Week 2


Week 1 vs. Week 2

17 responses to “Mom & Baby #2: Week 2

  1. Pingback: Mom & Baby #2: Week 3 | Run Inspired

  2. Pingback: Mom & Baby #2: Week 4 | Run Inspired

  3. Pingback: Mom & Baby #2: Week 5 | Run Inspired

  4. Pingback: Mom & Baby #2: Week 6 | Run Inspired

  5. Pingback: Mom & Baby #2: Week 7 | Run Inspired

  6. Pingback: Mom & Baby #2: Week 8 | Run Inspired

  7. Pingback: Mom & Baby #2: Week 9 | Run Inspired

  8. Pingback: Mom & Baby #2: Week 10 | Run Inspired

  9. Pingback: Mom & Baby #2: Week 11 | Run Inspired

  10. Pingback: Mom & Baby #2: Week 12 | Run Inspired

  11. Pingback: Mom & Baby: 4 Months | Run Inspired

  12. Pingback: Mom & Baby: 5 Months | Run Inspired

  13. Pingback: Mom & Baby: 6 Months | Run Inspired

  14. Pingback: Mom & Baby: 7 Months | Run Inspired

  15. Pingback: Mom & Baby: 8 Months | Run Inspired

  16. Pingback: Mom & Baby: 9 Months | Run Inspired

  17. Pingback: Mom & Baby: 10/11 Months | Run Inspired

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s