Day in the Life with a 2 Year Old [Weekday]

It’s been over 3 months since I’ve done a “Day in the Life” post, and quite a few things have changed since then! I’m now back to work after an amazing summer off, I’m almost 13 weeks pregnant, I have a very hyperactive 2 year old, and my hubby started a second job in the evenings (following his passion as an assistant brewer at a craft brewery!). Needless to say, life is very busy these days!  I wanted to do a snapshot of one of our crazy weekdays, and then I’ll do a weekend snapshot at some point later- since that is a much different story! I love capturing our days and then looking back on them later on! Here is how our day went on Thursday, November 6th.

5:10 a.m. My alarm goes off, I get up to get ready to run. I noticed that it was raining outside and briefly contemplated going to the gym to run on the treadmill instead- especially since I knew my running buddy wouldn’t be coming today- but it sounded so unappealing. I know I have a long winter ahead of me where I’ll have to use the treadmill a lot due to ice and other things that are not really safe to run in during pregnancy. I really don’t want to have to start now when it’s only November! So I got dressed and went for it outside. 


5:28 – 6:00 a.m. Running! It wasn’t actually that cold out and just rained moderately. I took it pretty easy because I was worried about slipping on wet leaves, and I was lonely without my running buddy, but I’m so glad I ran outside!


6:04 a.m. I arrive back home and start making my coffee since I hear my husband in the shower.


6:10 a.m. I hear little Kev start to make noise so I go up to get him. He’s still getting used to daylight savings time and has been waking up earlier than usual :/


6:15 a.m. I take a shower while my husband gets Kevin changed and dressed for the day. They go downstairs to make their morning smoothies (their little tradition lately- it’s so cute), and I get myself ready for the day.


6:45 a.m. The boys get ready to leave. I brush little Kev’s teeth and hair, and get his cloth diapers prepped and packed in his diaper bag. Then we read books for a few minutes while my husband finishes getting ready. We head back downstairs to get shoes and jackets on, milk packed, and my husband makes his lunch. I also start making my breakfast.

7:05 a.m. The boys leave for daycare and work in the rain!


7:10 a.m. I eat my breakfast. I recently switched from smoothies back to my old friend- oatmeal! I wanted a change since it’s gotten cooler outside, and I’ve been loving it. I make my oatmeal with banana, cinnamon, vanilla almond milk, blueberries and peanut butter. Yum! I really enjoy having a few peaceful minutes to eat breakfast by myself before the craziness of the work day begins.


7:30 a.m. I finish eating and start packing my lunch. I also finish drinking my coffee which is pretty much cold at this point.

7:45 a.m. I quickly get dressed, brush teeth and finish getting myself ready for work.

8:00 a.m. Leave for work. Sit in traffic because it’s raining and everyone forgets how to drive around here when it rains!

8:35 a.m. I arrive at work 5 minutes late 😦 I rush inside and get busy responding to the many emails I somehow received between 5 p.m. the day before and 8:30 a.m. this morning. I also run around to classrooms to talk to teachers and gather permission forms for after school reading tutoring that is starting soon. I also take a couple of bathroom breaks since I have to pee a million times a day. While I’m in there I catch a glimpse of my belly in the mirror. It is looking extra pregnant today!


10:10 a.m. Before I know it my stomach is rumbling (already!). Time for a snack break! I’ve been loving eating two hard boiled eggs as a mid-morning snack. Protein packed and keeps me full, for a little while at least. After my snack break it’s back to work.


11:45 a.m. Lunch break. Today I brought a black bean burger on whole wheat bread with avocado, and cucumbers with jalapeno-cilantro hummus. It’s so good!!!


12:15 p.m. Back to work. I spend some time in our school’s book room organizing and filing books away, and I choose some new books for my reading groups for next week and write some lesson plans.

1:00 p.m. Here comes the afternoon slump. I always get pretty tired and unmotivated during this time of day. I have recently been talking to my friend who is into essential oils. We have decided to try them out and she gave me a few samples to use in the meantime before my order arrives. I breathe in some peppermint oil and put a drop on my tongue for energy to wake myself up. It’s amazing how well this stuff works!


2:05 p.m. I eat a little snack of pretzels while I work. I feel like I eat all day long, but I really do need to eat small meals/snacks every 2-3 hours or else I don’t feel well. I also was feeling a little frustrated by a situation that was happening at school. During my snack break I scrolled through Instagram and saw this photo, which was so fitting in the moment! I thought about printing it out and passive aggressively posting it on the walls at school but decided against it 🙂 Gotta love these hormones!


4:03 p.m. I leave school and start my commute home. On Thursdays and Fridays Kevin picks up little Kev from daycare and I head straight home to get dinner started. I pick him up on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday because Kevin goes straight from his day job to his night job and works there 6-10 p.m. on those days. I don’t think I could manage to do a DITL post on those days because they’re a little crazy without any help from my hubby! On Thursday he doesn’t go into work until 8:00, so he can pick Kevin up, have dinner and spend time with us, and do Kevin’s bedtime routine since he misses that on the other nights. He’s also able to spend more quality time with us Friday-Sunday because he doesn’t work evenings on those days. Did you get all that? Whew! We are still getting used to this new routine and it can be tough, but I am more than willing to sacrifice right now if it means opening the door to better things for him and our family in the future. Best of all, he’s excited and passionate about his work for the first time EVER, and that’s pretty amazing 🙂


4:58 p.m. I arrive home and start making dinner. We are having Two Peas and Their Pod’s Baked Pasta with Spinach and Ricotta. 


5:45 p.m. I get dinner in the oven and open up the multiple packages we received today for some reason. It felt like Christmas! We got our order of essential oils (we got the Family Physician’s Kit from doTERRA), as well as the diffuser and coconut oil for dilution from Amazon. We also got a very early Christmas gift for little Kev from his Mamaw (it was a good deal and she had it shipped to us rather than carry it with her all the way up from South Carolina at Christmas). Finally I received some Athleta running capris that I ordered with some rewards money I had accumulated and needed to spend. They fit so nicely and I am in love with them!



6:00 p.m. The boys get home and I spent some time talking with them and playing with little Kev. Unfortunately I don’t get to spend a lot of time with him on Thursday and Friday when his daddy picks him up, but we make up for it on the other days and over the weekend.

6:25 p.m. Dinner is ready! It looks and smells delicious! All of us approved!

IMG_1352   FullSizeRender-5

6:45 p.m. Kevin is a mess so we head upstairs for bath time! While he plays in the bath we FaceTime with Mamaw (my mother-in-law).


7:10 p.m. We get Kev out of the bath and get him ready for bed. Daddy takes him in his room and they do his little bedtime routine of rocking, singing songs and saying goodnight. It’s so sweet. I hope he lets us do this for a long time.


7:30 p.m. Little Kev is asleep and my husband leaves for his job at the brewery. I clean up the kitchen, do the dishes and work on laundry.

8:05 p.m. Time to relax! I catch up with my DVR and spend some time unwinding.

9:20 p.m. I feel my eyes start to get heavy so I head upstairs to get ready for bed.

9:40 p.m. SLEEP!

And it all starts over again at 5:10 the next day when my alarm goes off for another run!

Previous “Day in the Life” posts:

4 responses to “Day in the Life with a 2 Year Old [Weekday]

  1. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 2 Year Old [Weekend] | Run Inspired

  2. Pingback: A Day in the Life with a Toddler & a Newborn | Run Inspired

  3. Pingback: A Day in the Life: End of Summer Vacation | Run Inspired

  4. Pingback: A Day in the Working Mama Life | Run Inspired

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s