Baby 2.0 – 5 Weeks

(Originally written on September 15th, 2014)

Wow. What an eventful week! We were super busy with doctor’s appointments, birthdays, a trip to Pennsylvania and moving me out of my old school and into my new one. Needless to say this week flew by!



This week Baby K has grown from a poppy seed to a sesame seed. BabyCenter says that baby looks like a tadpole this week and that it’s heart and circulatory system have formed. It’s heart will even start beating by the end of the week. The placenta also starts functioning this week, bringing nutrients and oxygen to the baby through its teeny tiny umbilical cord.

photo 3


This week my symptoms from last week got a little stronger and more noticeable. I am still very hungry and thirsty all the time throughout the day and at night. I wake up multiple times a night from hunger and thirst, and also to pee since I’m drinking so much. When I do sleep I am experiencing the same vivid dreams as I did last time. It’s like watching a few movies every night. Needless to say, due to these things my sleep hasn’t been very restful and I’m tired most of the day. This is probably also due to the fact that my body is working hard to grow a baby AND I’ve cut down my coffee intake to just one small cup in the morning. Big sad face! I love my coffee!

DSCN3479  5weeks

In addition to that I am feeling pretty achy in my lower abdomen/uterus. I can definitely tell something is going on down there. Lots of twinges and pulls and an overall feeling of heaviness. It’s like my uterus remembers exactly what to do and is getting a head start on it! I noticed that if I’m on my feet all day like I was this past Saturday, I feel extra achy and crampy. I’m not sure if this is round ligament pain already or what, but it’s pretty uncomfortable.

Like last week I feel like I am full of air. Lots of burping and gas on the other end as well (LOL- my husband is so lucky). I am also having a lot of reflux and heartburn which is not fun at all. I had pasta with a spicy tomato sauce the other night and tasted that for almost a full day afterwards, since my digestion has also slowed wayyyy down. This happened last time too and it is definitely not enjoyable. Luckily running gets my digestion going again pretty well :).

I’ve also noticed that I have significant “baby brain” already. I basically feel like I’m walking around in a fog the whole day. Here are a few examples of stupid things I’ve done this week: while going to meet my running group I got on the highway going northbound instead of southbound and had to drive 4 miles before I got to an exit and could turn around, I tried for about 5 minutes to open the door to my trailer at my old school before realizing it wasn’t my trailer, and I am constantly forgetting what I’m about to do or something I wanted to say. Basically my brain has already turned to mush!

Finally, I am still VERY bloated, to the point where I am glad I’m in a new school (more about that later) and nobody really knows me yet. If I was with people who knew me well they would definitely know something is up. People at my new school probably just think I have a little gut action going on. It gets worse as the day goes on but it’s there in the morning as well, which is a change from last time. If it keeps up at this rate I’m going to have a much harder time hiding it until the second trimester than last time.

photo 4

After an evening run. Check out that bloat!


This week started off a little bit stressful and then it eased up a bit toward the end. I started off the week with getting my blood drawn to test my HcG level and progesterone. My HcG came back at 135, which is on the lower end of the 4 week range but still appropriate considering I had just passed the 4 week mark the day before. My progesterone came back really good at 29.4 (they told me they want it between 13 and 30), which I was so happy about because I had been concerned about it begin low due to some signs I had while charting my cycle. However, since my HcG was on the lower end they wanted me to come in for a second blood draw 72 hours later, which was this past Friday. At this blood draw I also had a short appointment with one of the midwives who talked to me about the general early pregnancy things. I got my results today (Monday) and my HcG level came back at 468, so it more than tripled- which is great! BUT they told me they wanted me to come back again tomorrow because they like to see it above 1,000. Talk about a roller coaster of stress and emotion. But I’m confident in my numbers and the fact that they are rising. I can feel that they are rising too, due to my symptoms, so I’m choosing not to stress and worry too much.

DSCN3482   DSCN3483

The other thing on my mind this week was everything going on with my job. After finding out I was being destaffed last Friday and not knowing where I was going to end up, I had an interview on Wednesday morning and found out I got the job. I was so happy because it was the only open reading specialist position in the entire county and I really liked the school and the principal. I spent the rest of the week finishing up my work at my old school and packing my things, and started at my new one today (Monday). So far it’s been amazing. There is a lot of work to do here but I feel very welcome!

Finally, I was really able to relax, smile and destress over this past weekend. Kevin and I decided to take off Friday to celebrate both of my boy’s birthdays. After Kevin’s 2 year doctor’s appointment and my appointment with the midwife, we headed home to Pennsylvania for the weekend. We were able to have a little birthday celebration on Friday night and shared the news of baby #2 with close family and friends. On Saturday I had my 10 year high school reunion and was able to catch up with a lot of people I haven’t seen in a long time (and pretend to be drinking which was interesting since it was a tailgate style reunion). On Sunday we had some family photos taken by my dad, which was really nice and special.




Still hungry all the time, eating frequently to avoid feeling that blood sugar crash but losing a little weight. This happened last time too. I started putting weight back on during the 6th or 7th week. I’m still able to eat everything like I used to and am going to try to keep up my daily veggie and salad intake as long as I can. Like last time I am really wanting salty foods but surprisingly I’ve also been drawn to sweets. I didn’t have much desire to eat sweets last time around so that’s new. I’ll be curious to see if my nausea and aversion to veggies picks up in the 6th week like it did last time. I know there is some sort of hormone surge around that time too which makes you feel a lot more symptoms. Fingers crossed I keep feeling relatively good!


I am still feeling my best in the morning so I’m trying to make the most of that and get up early to get my workout in. The weather was so much cooler and nice this week, which made me feel a lot stronger and better overall. I was able to run a total of 24 miles, including a 10 mile long run which felt great! I also make it to not one, but TWO 5 a.m. Body Pump classes! I was very proud of myself.

  • Monday – 3 miles @ 10:10 pace
  • Tuesday – Body Pump
  • Wednesday – 3 miles @ 10:01 pace
  • Thursday – Body Pump
  • Friday – 3 miles @ 10:33 pace
  • Saturday – 5 miles @ 9:06 pace
  • Sunday – 10 miles @ 9:24 pace
  • Run – 24 miles
  • Strength – 2x


Week 5 Summary

  • Weight gained this week: -0.8 lbs.
  • Total weight gained: -1.0 lbs.
  • Best thing I ate this week: Chickie’s & Pete’s Crab Fries after my high school reunion in Philadelphia. Basically fries with old bay and other seasoning on them. SO. GOOD.
  • # of blood draws: 2
  • # of times I woke up to pee: about 50
  • # of beers I pretended to drink: 4
  • # of days until my first sonogram: 18! (October 3rd)

5 weeks last time around!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s