I can’t believe how quickly the Runner’s World Summer Run Streak is going, and how many consecutive days I have run so far! My body is holding up great and I actually hit 30 miles this week for the first time in a long time. Kevin and 3 of my friends are also still streaking. It’s so great to have people to do this challenge with who will hold me accountable! The week started off kind of rough but got better as it went on. I am so in love with running right now!
Here is a recap of how my week went, followed by Kevin’s account of his week.
Katie’s Miles (6/16 – 6/22)
- Monday: 2 miles @ 9:00. I was not really looking forward to this run because I knew it would be tough! I spent the weekend celebrating at my friend’s wedding, and woke up not feeling too great the next day. By the time we got back to Virginia temperatures were in the 90s and it was very humid. I decided to wait to run until after dinner and we put Kevin to bed. By that time it did feel a little better outside, so I went 2 miles instead of the 1 I had planned. It wasn’t easy and I felt like I had wine coming out of my pores, but I got it done! I was drenched afterwards but it was a good way to start cleansing my system after an indulgent weekend!
- Tuesday: 2 miles @ 9:22. I did 2 miles before Tabata Bootcamp and CX Worx. I still had some time to kill so I walked one more mile afterwards. Why does running 2 miles on the treadmill feel like 20? It is just not my friend! I think I would have preferred running outside in the 95 degree temps we had instead!
- Wednesday: 3 miles @ 9:26. It was another morning of 100% humidity here in Virginia, but I don’t think it would have been that bad if I hadn’t done bootcamp the night before. My Wednesday morning runs are usually tough after that evening class. But I got it done anyway and I’m glad I didn’t wait until after work, because temps were in the high 90s by then! Geez, it’s not even officially summer yet! I also took a new route which I didn’t know included a giant hill. Whew!
- Thursday: 3.5 miles @ 9:10. My last day of school! I couldn’t get out of bed in the morning so I ran once I got home. It was storming while I was driving home and I tried to wait it out by prepping dinner. Once I was finished it cleared up, so I quickly ran out to try to squeeze a mile in before it started up again. Much to my surprise it stayed clear, so I kept going but stayed close to home. I ended up doing 3.5 miles without any rain at all. I hate ending on not a whole number (OCD), but it was worth it because I explored a new area of my neighborhood that I never knew existed. I love when that happens!
- Friday: 5 miles @ 8:55. This run was pure bliss. It was my first day of summer break, I got a solid 8 hours of sleep, and ran in cool temperatures. My husband took the baby to daycare because I had a staff pool party, and it was so weird to be home without him. I didn’t know what to do with myself! I actually had time to stretch, roll out my muscles, and do some planks and push ups afterwards!
- Saturday: 4.5 miles @ 9:01. What a great morning! I made pancakes for my boys, then we went for a run and had some playground time. We ran along a new route and alternated pushing the stroller. I love our weekends together. I was so proud of my husband because this is the longest distance he has ran in a very long time. I wanted to do an extra .5 to round out my 3.5 mile run the other day. Anyone else weird with numbers like I am?
- Sunday: 10 miles @ 10:30. I ran with one of my friends who is also streaking, and we had a lot of fun! I planned a new-to-us route around a nearby town, and we got a little lost along the way during our first loop due to some construction and detours. Luckily we were much more prepared for our second time around. It was a little cooler out and actually rained a little while we were running, which felt good in the humidity. Our legs were a bit tired and we contemplated cutting it short at 8 miles, but ended up sticking it out to do the whole 10.
- Total Miles This Week: 30
- Total Miles So Far: 110
- Total Days Streaking: 30
Kevin’s Miles (6/16 – 6/22)
- Monday: 1 mile @ 8:12. It felt good to get back on track after our wedding weekend away.
- Tuesday: 2 miles @ 8:20. This run felt like the fast food challenge. I was running down a road with a ton of restaurants and they smelled really good, it took more to resist going in to eat than it did to run. I was hungry!
- Wednesday: 1 mile @ ? I had a case of “bubbly guts” on this run. Not good. I didn’t wear my watch but did one of our regular 1 mile routes and just tried to get it over with before having a bathroom emergency!
- Thursday: 2 miles @ 7:30. I did some loops around a shopping center on the way to pick up Kevin at daycare. I stopped there to fit my run in real quick because I saw a storm coming. I was booking it!
- Friday: 2 miles @ 8:03. I have been doing most of my runs in the afternoon but I did this one in the morning. I was so hungry all day afterwards!
- Saturday: 4.5 miles @ 9:02. This run felt great. It was awesome to run with the family. I’m happy to be building up my long run mileage again.
- Sunday: 1.5 miles @ 8:21. I did 1.5 miles to even out my weekly total so Katie wouldn’t complain about ending on a weird number. My legs were tired!
- Total Miles This Week: 14
- Total Miles So Far: 52.2
- Total Days Streaking: 29
I can totally see why people who streak find it addicting. Kevin is determined to extend his until Labor Day and I’m considering it. I figure I can always fit 1 mile or less than 10 minutes of running in a day – right?! Onto Week 5!