Day in the Life with an 18 Month Old

So Kevin will be 19 months in just a few days, and life has been so busy that I realized I hadn’t done an 18 month Day in the Life post yet! I really like doing these because I find them fun to look back on, and plan to continue with my monthly baby updates/DITL snapshots of life at that age until he is 2. Here is what happened on Wednesday, April 9th!

4:30 a.m. My FitBit Flex starts vibrating on my wrist, which is my silent alarm telling me it’s time to get up. So. Early. But I have a 7 mile tempo run to do, so I get up, get myself dressed, and head out the door.

4:53 a.m. I leave for my run. If I run outside in the morning when it’s still dark I stick to well-lit neighborhoods and a shopping center near my house that is a full mile around. It can be boring but it’s safer, so it’s worth it to me!

photo 1

5:58 a.m. I arrive back home after finishing my run and walking for a few minutes. It was a doozy (more about it in my weekly half marathon training update later this week)! My husband is already awake and showered and making us green smoothies for breakfast. I stretch for a few minutes and talk to him, then head upstairs to shower and get ready for work.

photo 2

6:30 a.m. My husband leaves for work. He leaves so early because he is currently coaching middle school baseball, so he works from 7-3 then coaches from 3-5. I finish getting ready and drink my large cup of coffee.

photo 3

6:40 a.m. I go in little Kevin’s room to wake him up and he is not happy about it. Kid loves his sleep! I change his diaper, get him dressed, and fix his crazy bedhead.

photo 4

6:52 a.m. We go downstairs and Kevin starts drinking his mini smoothie. We give this to him to hold him over until he has breakfast at daycare, and he loves it. While he drinks it I make myself lunch and pack up his milk, cloth diapers and other daycare stuff. He stands by the door to look for “beep beeps,” or trucks- which he is currently obsessed with.

photo 5

7:05 a.m. We go back upstairs so I can finish getting dressed and brush our teeth. Kevin normally likes when we brush his teeth these days but fights me today, I think because he’s getting all 4 canine teeth right now. Ouch.

7:20 a.m. We leave for work. I also pick up my neighbor who works with my husband and rides in with me every day. While I drive I (finally) drink my own green smoothie. I am starving at this point! I am loving my smoothies lately and they keep me super full- especially because we have been adding peanut butter.

8:20 a.m. I finally get to work after stopping at Kevin’s daycare, talking to his babysitter for a few minutes and trying to distract Kevin with his milk cup while slipping out the door, then dropping off my neighbor at her work which is on the way to mine. Whew! It’s a long commute because the location of Kevin’s daycare is not ideal, but it’s worth it us because we absolutely love it.

photo 1-1

8:25 a.m. As soon as I get to work it’s go time. I drop my lunch off in the fridge, use the bathroom quickly and go to pick up the student I tutor before school. Then my regular day begins, and I have 3 groups of kindergarten students back to back. I’m a reading specialist, so I work with 11 groups of students throughout the day for 30 minutes each. It’s a LOT of work but I really do love it.

10:50 a.m. I finally get a chance to breathe as my planning period begins. I eat a snack of 2 hard boiled eggs and get to work planning some activities for the 1st grade teachers I work with.

photo 2-1

11:50 a.m. It’s lunch time! I am having leftover Tortilla Soup from the More Peas, Thank You cookbook. It’s one of our favorite soups, and we wanted to have it one more time before it gets too warm outside for that type of meal. While I eat I get a chance to unwind a bit and chat with my coworkers, who I love so much!

photo 3-1

12:20 p.m. Back to my kiddos. I take 6 more groups of students back to back for the rest of the day. It was supposed to be 7, but one student I take by himself was on a field trip so I couldn’t see him.

3:30 p.m. The instructional day is over, and I have a quick break before I have to head out to my afternoon duty so I eat a banana.

photo 4-1

3:45 p.m. After my duty I head to a meeting with my principal and some of my colleagues. Normally I can leave work at 4 but I stay a little later today because of this.

4:30 p.m. My meeting is over and it’s time to drive home. On the way I eat a Larabar. Kevin picks up the baby most afternoons because where he coaches is right by his daycare, so I can go straight home and get started making dinner. I do stop to get gas on the way, but my commute is much shorter than the morning which helps balance it out.

photo 5-1

5:08 p.m. I arrive home, change into comfy clothes and sit down to relax for a minute. Eventually I start making dinner, which is roasted vegetable paninis with baked zucchini fries.

6:10 p.m.  My husband gets home with little Kev- I am so excited to see my boys, even though he is cranky because he didn’t want to nap much that day!

photo 2-2

6:25 p.m. Kevin is hungry and getting even more cranky, so we go ahead and give him dinner. Ideally we like to all eat together, but tonight’s dinner was a little time consuming to make so it didn’t work out that way. Kevin had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with veggies and hummus. Lately he LOVES any food he can dip! He also had more milk.

photo 3-2

6:45 p.m. Finally it’s time for us to eat! The paninis and zucchini fries are delicious! I also have a glass of wine with dinner because I needed it after the long day I had.

photo 4-2

7:00 p.m. We’re finished eating so we take Kevin upstairs to get ready for bed. Since he’s super tired we decide to skip his usual bath time and just get him to sleep. We change him into his PJs, brush his teeth and then I nurse him.

photo 5-2

7:45 p.m. I put him in his crib and he is not happy at first, but he quickly gets over it and falls asleep within a minute. He was so tired! I go back downstairs and finish my wine and relax. I message back and forth with my sister about running shoes and a friend of mine who wants me to coach her since I have my running coach certification this weekend (!!!). My amazing hubby does some laundry, and I eat a Reese’s Peanut Butter Egg for dessert. Yum 🙂

8:55 p.m. I make my lunch for the next day and get everything else ready- lunch, diapers, milk cup, work outfit, workout outfit, clothes for the baby, etc. I am really trying to get in the habit of doing this at night so the mornings are less stressful!

9:20 p.m. I head upstairs to get ready for bed.

9:30 p.m. I lie down in bed but have trouble falling asleep for a little while. Must have been the chocolate :/ I eventually fall asleep around 10:00.

10:00 p.m. – 4:30 a.m. We all SLEEP!

photo 2-3

4:30 a.m. And 24 hours later, my alarm goes off yet again for another morning workout. This time it’s Body Pump class at 5 a.m. And another day begins!

While we were at work, here is what Kevin was up to!

  • Breakfast: Chex cereal (+ the green smoothie he had at home)
  • Lunch: French bread pizza, green bears, pears
  • Snacks: ??? I don’t know- she doesn’t write this down for us.
  • Diaper Changes: 4
  • Read “Good Night, New Orleans!” (Our babysitter just got back from a trip there)
  • Napped from 9:05-10:00
  • Did not take his second nap and talked to himself the whole time :/ (He has been very inconsistent with his naps, some days he takes two and other days just one. I am going to do some experimenting over Spring Break next week to see if he’s finally ready to drop to one nap!)

Previous “Day in the Life” posts:


4 responses to “Day in the Life with an 18 Month Old

  1. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 19 Month Old | Run Inspired

  2. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 21 Month Old: Summer Break! | Run Inspired

  3. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 22 Month Old | Run Inspired

  4. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 2 Year Old | Run Inspired

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s