For a while there we got into a little bit of a food rut. We were eating the same meals over and over and over again. Needless to say we got tired of them and were ready to try some new ideas. So I went on the hunt for some fresh, fun and delicious vegetarian meals that Kevin, the baby and me would all like, and I found some real winners! I can’t take credit for creating these recipes (except for one), but I did want to pass them along and share them with others who may be looking for some delicious vegetarian meals.
1. Lemon Chickpea Orzo Soup. We have REALLY been into soup lately. It’s just easy and filling and warm in the cold winter months. I shared 4 of our favorite vegetarian soups back in October, and in this post I actually have 4 more! My sister passed this one on to me. It’s from Two Peas and Their Pod and was originally a Lemon Chicken Orzo soup. To make it vegetarian I just used vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, and chickpeas instead of chicken. I also added oregano and basil for a little extra flavor. It was delicious with just a hint of lemon in the broth. My sister said the original chicken one was great too!
2. Roasted Vegetable Soup. Another soup! This one is from Vegetarian Times and is one of their top rated soup recipes. The roasted vegetables give it so much flavor, and it was creamy without having any dairy in it. I added chickpeas for protein since it didn’t have any in the recipe, and I used vegetable broth instead of water. Yum!
3. Spinach Artichoke Lasagna Roll Ups. Another delicious recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod! I really liked this one and it’s easy to adapt based on what type of fillings you like in your lasagna. The leftovers were amazing also! We couldn’t eat it all, so we gave some to our neighbor who loved it too.
4. Slow Cooker Taco Soup. This is another soup we loved. It’s from Peas and Thank You, and I tried to find the link to it but it seems like she shut her blog down since I made this recipe. The picture below is all that’s left of it (I forgot to take my own!) That’s really sad, because a lot of the recipes I have on here in other posts were linked to her blog. She does have two cookbooks published, which we LOVE and use all the time. A lot of the recipes that were on her blog are in her books but this one isn’t. I found one that looks similar though and you can find it here. Any meal that cooks itself is great in my book!
5. Homemade Black Bean Burgers. One of my coworkers gave me this recipe that she used to make for her son when he was a vegetarian. We buy a lot of Morningstar Spicy Black Bean Burgers, which we love but can get expensive! These are SO yummy and super simple too. The recipe says it makes 4 burgers and on this night I made 2 regular sized burgers and 6 sliders. Both of my boys loved these!
6. Pesto Pasta Primavera. We actually just made this dinner tonight and it’s so simple. It’s not really a recipe- it’s just veggies (whatever you have in the fridge- I used onion, bell pepper and zucchini) and chickpeas sauteed, and then added to some pasta. I then added some jarred pesto from the grocery store, parmesan cheese on top, and called it a meal! I guess I could’ve made my own pesto but you know… the pre-made is just so easy! We have made this a few times now and really enjoy it.
7. Tortellini Soup. The last recipe is another soup. It has delicious tortellini (we used the tri-color fresh kind you can find in the refrigerated section- Wegmans brand), spinach, and a tomato-based broth. It is SUPER quick and easy. It only took about 10 minutes and was really good!
(Not my picture, but this is what it looked like. I got the picture here!)
If you have any good vegetarian meal ideas please pass them on to me! We are always looking for new ones! You can find a lot more recipes and vegetarian meal ideas on my food page!