Thanksgiving 2013

Happy (belated) Thanksgiving! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday spent with the people you love. I definitely did! We spent our long weekend with my family and friends in Pennsylvania. It was relaxing and filled with lots of food, drinks, and laughs. It reminded me that I have SO MUCH to be thankful for!


We traveled home on Wednesday afternoon and made surprisingly good time without too much holiday traffic. Since we were tired we went to bed early to get a good nights rest before Thanksgiving festivities the next day.

I woke up the next morning excited to run with my sister. There weren’t any local Turkey Trots happening around my hometown, so we decided to have our own! My sister has been doing awesome with her running after completing Couch to 5K a couple months ago. She’s up to running 5 miles nonstop now! We just stuck to 3 on this day because we had a lot to do. It was still super fun though. I love running with her!

photo 2

After our run we showered up and got ready for the rest of the day. Kevin played with Poppy (my dad) in the yard for a little while. It was cold!!!


Then we went to the Turkey Bowl like we do every year. My dad grew up hanging out and playing football on Thanksgiving Day with the guys that lived on his street with him. Eventually as they got older and married and had kids, their families started to join them. Now it’s one of my favorite traditions. We get together, eat, drink, and play football. This year the game lasted a grand total of about 10 minutes. Haha!







Little Kevin had fun running around, but he kept falling over since he had on so many layers. It was freezing and really windy! We had to keep taking breaks inside the car.


After the Turkey Bowl we went home to get warm and start making dinner. We kept it small and simple this year, and had just the 5 of us at my dad’s house (me, Kevin, my dad, my sister, and baby K).


Since nobody in my family really likes turkey and I don’t eat meat, my dad actually made a ham instead. We also had our family’s traditional macaroni and cheese recipe, mashed potatoes, cornbread and (vegetarian) sausage stuffing, green bean casserole, carrots, rolls and fresh cranberry sauce.



While we cooked we sipped on champagne. I had some in the glass that my parents drank out of in the hospital after I was born 27 years ago 🙂

photo 1

I was so excited to eat! It’s all about the sides for me. So delicious!


photo 3

This was the baby’s second Thanksgiving, but the first where he was actually able to eat! He devoured the stuffing, carrots and cranberry sauce (this kid loves sour food- cranberries, lemons, you name it). He wasn’t so sure about the rest.




After we digested dinner for a while we went back for apple pie. I got it in Virginia at an awesome bakery and it did not disappoint. It was SO delicious! My mouth is watering just writing about it.

The next morning I got up and went for another run. I took full advantage of being able to sleep in (meaning until 7 and not 5 a.m.) since we weren’t working. It was so nice to wake up, have some coffee and hang out before heading to run. I did 4 miles and they were painful- the day after Thanksgiving run always is. But it feels so good when you are done!

After showering and getting ready we took some family photos in my dad’s backyard for our Christmas card. My dad is an awesome photographer (he took all the pictures in this post except for a few from my iPhone). I love how they turned out!






After that we drove about an hour away to see my aunt, uncle, and cousins. It was extra fun because my cousin and his wife have a son who is only 2 months older than Kevin. It was cute to see them interact and play with (or next to) each other. And of course it was nice to spent time with family that we don’t get to see very often.

photo 1-1

The next day (Saturday) my sister and I decided to head to Trader Joe’s where she works. I don’t have one near me in Virginia so I always try to go while I’m home to stock up. While she was backing out of our driveway she accidentally backed into my car. Oops! It is a very minor dent and will be easily fixable, but she was a mess because it was her first “accident.” Luckily it was with her sister and not a stranger, and it could have been a lot worse!

photo 2-1

After she got herself together and calmed down we went to Trader Joe’s and another market to get groceries. I was on the search for gluten-free/dairy-free stuff for my friend who was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease and Lactose Intolerance (a very difficult combination to deal with).  We were getting together with friends later that night and I wanted him to have food to eat!

After grocery shopping we attempted to get Kevin to nap in the crib once again (he had a hard time being in a new place while also teething- his molars are coming in!) and failed. He ended up sleeping on either me or Kevin for every nap all weekend.

This is how he napped all weekend...

This is how he napped all weekend…

That evening we went to my best friend from elementary school’s house and hung out with her, my two other best friends from home. Christy, Sandy, D.J. and I have been close forever and I’m so thankful for their friendship, even though I live in Virginia now. We had a blast catching up and doing karaoke. Baby Kevin loved all the attention too, especially when D.J.’s fiancee fed him apple crisp!

photo 3-1

On Sunday I woke up early to squeeze in a run before we left to go back home. I ran through my hometown and took a little trip down memory lane. It made me want to move back ASAP.


I was going to end at 5 miles, but at the last minute I decided to run by the house I spent the first 7 years of my life living in. It brought back a lot of memories running through my old neighborhood. See that tree in the front yard? My parents planted it in 1984, almost 30 years ago, after their first Christmas in the house. It was their first Christmas tree. Now it’s HUGE!

photo 4-1

I ended with 6 miles, which is my longest run since the OBX Marathon! It felt really good, but I did have a little knee pain toward the end. Hoping that it’s nothing and will pass quickly!

After my run we got packed up and sadly left to go back to Virginia. Our trip home took 6 hours when it usually takes about 3, due to tons of traffic. Ugh. But luckily our little boy was a trooper and was entertained by reading books with mommy in the backseat and napping.


Once we finally got home it was too late to get our Christmas tree, which I was sad about. But we were able to open the first square on our Advent calendar which is a new tradition for us. I am so excited for Christmas and the whole month of December leading up to it!


It was tough to go back to work this morning after such an awesome long weekend with my family. I am truly thankful for everything that I have, not just on Thanksgiving, but every day of the year.

Thanksgiving 2012 & 2013

Thanksgiving 2012 & 2013

Last year’s Thanksgiving post.


4 responses to “Thanksgiving 2013

  1. what a lovely celebration! Look how such a big boy is Kevin already!!! 🙂

  2. Pingback: Mom & Baby: 15 Months | Run Inspired

  3. Pingback: 2013: A Year in Review | Run Inspired

  4. Pingback: Fredericksburg Turkey Trot 5K | Run Inspired

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s