Day in the Life with a 5 Month Old

It’s time for another Day in the Life post! This was how our day went on Wednesday, February 27th, when Kevin was 5 1/2 months old.


4:45 a.m. Baby wakes up to eat. This is very predictable these days. He wakes up anywhere between 4:15 and 5:00 a.m STARVING like he’s never eaten before. His appetite has been out of control lately!

5:05 a.m.  I finish breastfeeding him and hand him off to his dad, who feeds him a 4 oz. bottle of formula while I go back to sleep. Kevin and I try to share the nighttime/early morning duties. The baby is easily eating 5-6 oz. per feeding lately, and his first morning feeding is always the biggest after sleeping for a longer stretch. I don’t produce much breast milk anymore, so first thing in the morning he probably gets only 2-3 ounces total from me.

5:15 a.m. Baby is finished eating, so dad and him go back to sleep in our bed.

6:00 a.m. Kevin and I get up and start getting ready for the day. Baby is still sleeping peacefully.


6:35 a.m. I finish getting ready and Kevin brings my breakfast up to me [banana and blueberry oatmeal with peanut butter] so I can eat next to the baby, who is still sleeping. In the morning, Kevin takes care of making breakfast for us, packing our lunches, preparing bottles for the day, and washing my pump parts, while I take care of the baby. Yes, he is an amazing husband! He also brings me my coffee, Mothers Milk tea, and a ton of pills (4 fenugreek + 3 blessed thistle for milk supply).



6:45 a.m. Baby’s awake and full of smiles! I change his diaper and put him in a cloth one. He wears disposables at night.



He loves touching the birds on the wall during diaper changes

6:50 a.m. Playtime in the Boppy while I finish my coffee. He loves to babble to me and play with toys. His new skill is passing toys from one hand to the other. He is always practicing this!


6:55 a.m. And he poops… Of course! I wait a few minutes to make sure he is done and then do diaper change #2 of the day. I also change him into fresh clothes. I usually keep him in pajamas if he’ll be home with our babysitter all day because it’s just easier.


7:10 a.m. I lay him down in his nursery to play and quickly spray out his cloth diaper.


7:15 a.m. More playtime and babbling in the Boppy while I quickly down my coffee and tea and brush my teeth.


7:30 a.m. Our babysitter arrives, so I talk to her for a few minutes before gathering my things and leaving for work. Kevin also leaves around this time.

7:38 – 8:00 a.m. Drive to work. This was a good commuting day! It usually takes me anywhere from 20 minutes to even an hour sometimes. Gotta love the traffic in the D.C. area.

8:02 a.m. Go into work, drop things off in my classroom, go to the bathroom, make copies, and talk to coworkers.

8:25 a.m. Time to pump! When I pump in my classroom I always lock my door and wear my cover in case of surprise intruders. I learned my lesson the hard way about this.


8:40 a.m. Finish pumping. This is why I need to supplement with formula! Lately I’ve been producing only 1-2 ounces per pumping session. On this morning I pumped 1.5 ounces. Sad 😦 I use the bathroom one more time (I drink way too many liquids!) and then the kids arrive.


8:45 – 10:00 a.m. Teach, teach, teach.

10:00 – 10:45 a.m.  Planning period. I eat a lactation cookie, which are amazing! Then I go meetings and try to get some work done.


10:45 a.m. – 12:20 p.m. More teaching.

12:20 – 12:50 p.m. I pump while attempting to each lunch at the same time. Kevin packed me a hummus and avocado sandwich, carrots, 2 hard boiled eggs, and more fenugreek & blessed thistle pills. Plus a lot of water! When I pump this time I get a little bit more than the morning- 1.75 ounces. After lunch I run to get my class and take them to recess.


1:10 – 3:30 p.m. Teach, teach, teach!

3:30 p.m. The kids are dismissed and I get a few things done in my room. I also eat another lactation cookie 🙂

3:50 p.m. Leave work and begin my commute home. I often pump in the car on my drive so that I don’t have to stay even later at work. It wasn’t hard to do with my hands-free bra once I got the hang of it. On my drive home I pumped another 1.5 ounces, bringing my total for the work day to 4.75 ounces. Not even enough for a full bottle the next day. Sigh…


4:25 p.m. Arrive home happy that my afternoon commute wasn’t as bad as usual. It can take as little as 25 minutes to as much as an hour and a half to get home from work. I only live 17 miles from my school but I have to take either route 1 or 95 South to get there, along with every other commuting person that lives in Northern Virginia! When I get home the baby is awake and happily playing on his activity mat with our babysitter and her 2 year old son.


4:45 p.m. After playing for a little while, I bring him into the kitchen so I can start making dinner. Luckily, he’s happy to sit in his bouncer with his rings and keys. Sometimes I don’t get so lucky! On the menu this night was a veggie stir fry with roasted chickpeas and brown rice.




5:30 p.m. I take a break from making dinner to change a BAD poopy diaper. It requires a change of clothes as well.

5:45 p.m. Kevin arrives home right as dinner is ready. We eat!


6:00 p.m. I feed the baby and then Kevin gives him a 4 oz. bottle of formula.


6:15 p.m. While Kevin is feeding the baby his bottle I go downstairs to put cloth diapers in the wash for the rinse cycle, then come back up to relax a bit and catch up on the Biggest Loser (love that show!)

6:30 p.m. Baby falls asleep. He has gotten in the habit of taking a longer evening nap. I’m not sure if that means we should put him to bed earlier or not? While he sleeps I go back downstairs to add detergent to the washing machine and run the diapers through their wash cycle.

7:00 p.m. Start grading a huge stack of papers (I am soooo behind!), and continue watching the Biggest Loser.


7:30 p.m. We wake up the baby after he has been sleeping for an hour so that he will sleep that night. I change his diaper, then we give him some avocado. This was the third day that we gave him solids, and his third day of avocado. Our pediatrician recommended doing each food for 3 days before introducing a new one, to watch for any allergic reactions. The first two nights of avocado went well Baby Led Weaning style. He picked up the pieces and put them right into his mouth. However, he had a hard time holding them because they were slippery, so this night we put the pieces into our mesh feeder to try that. He was not having it! I will write more about introducing solids later, it has been a lot of fun!


7:45 p.m. Bath time! We have started nightly baths as part of the baby’s bedtime routine and it has really made a difference in his quality of sleep so far. It’s also necessary since he gets messy from eating solid food. Kevin gives him a baby massage too, which he LOVES. He smiles and goes into a calm trance during his massage each night 🙂

IMG_4671    IMG_4674

8:10 p.m. We put him in his pajamas, turn on his noise machine, read him a book, and then I nurse him. We try to do his bedtime routine together as a family.

8:35 p.m. Baby goes down in his crib easily- almost too easily. I have a feeling he will wake up again soon. I quickly run down to the basement to put the cloth diapers in the dryer then clean up a bit on the main floor while Kevin does dishes.


He likes to sleep on his side lately…

8:55 p.m. And he is awake! I knew it was too good to be true. He has been waking up a few times before he falls asleep for a longer stretch. All I had to do was put his pacifier back in and rub his back, and he was asleep again within a minute. Then Kevin and I get ready for bed, and I take more fenugreek and blessed thistle pills.

9:20 p.m. We are in bed and fall asleep right away!

11:30 p.m. Baby is awake. Sometimes he’ll sleep straight through until 4 or 5 a.m., but most of the time he gets up at least once a night and wants to eat or wants comfort. I nurse him then Kevin changes his diaper. I normally pump in the middle of the night to get extra for the next day, but on nights that he wakes up and eats I don’t do this.

12:05 a.m. Baby is back to sleep and so are we.

4:45 a.m. Just like clockwork, baby is up again and ready to eat and start another day.

And what was baby doing while I was at work? Here are the notes our babysitter wrote for us.

  • 7:45 a.m. – Bottle (5.5 oz. breast milk)
  • 9:00 a.m. – Diaper change/wet
  • 9:05 – 10:15 a.m.- Nap
  • 10:15 a.m. – Bottle (5 oz. formula), diaper change/wet
  • 10:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. – Playtime, jumperoo, went for a walk outside
  • 1:00 p.m. – Bottle (5 oz. formula), diaper change/poop
  • 2:00 – 3:15 p.m. – Nap
  • 3:30 p.m. – Bottle (5 oz. formula), diaper change/wet
  • 4:25 p.m. – Mommy’s home!

24 Hour Totals

  • # of feedings: 8 + some avocado… hungry boy!
  • # of diaper changes: 10 (cloth requires more changes than disposables)
  • # of outfit changes: 3
  • # of hours of sleep for mom: ~8 hours of broken sleep
  • # of hours of sleep for baby: ~13 hours
  • # of hours spent nursing: ~1 hour 5 minutes
  • # of hours spent pumping: ~1 hour
  • # of formula ounces eaten: 23 ounces
  • # of breast milk ounces eaten: 5.5 ounce bottle + about 5-6 more ounces directly from me

Previous “Day in the Life” posts:


25 responses to “Day in the Life with a 5 Month Old

  1. divingintulips

    Hi, I’ve enjoyed reading your day in the life posts. We have a lot in common: my son is 4.5 mo, born at 38 weeks. I also struggled with low supply and have had the most success with domperidone. My local compounding pharmacy makes it. It made a huge difference for me. I went from supplementing in the beginning (baby not gaining) to enough breastmilk after a few weeks. I have to exclusively pump, though, because baby couldn’t draw out my milk early on. I also take the herbal supplements, they do help some. I know it’s hard to deal with all the emotional issues around breastmilk/formula/ what we had visioned for ourselves postpartum. Way to hang in there 🙂

    • Hi! I actually JUST started Domperidone yesterday. I’m excited to see how it works and very hopeful!!! How long did you take it for? Are you still on it? Do you still take the fenugreek and blessed thistle along with the Domperidone? Congrats on getting your supply back!

      • Hi, I also still take fenugreek+blessed thistle or motherlove milk plus. They seem to give a small boost. I started taking domperidone at about 4 weeks, am still on it. I have seen a continuous gradual increase; I take 4x 20 mg a day. Since I am at decent supply now, I may try gradually reducing the amount. I tried once at about 12 weeks and saw a decrease so I went back to the normal dosage. There are great resources about domperidone from Dr. Jack Newman and several Canadian sites, where it is more popular.
        My pharmacist says it is low risk, she has a client who has been using it for 3 years to provide for a son with a feeding tube. My main side effect is that I am simply hungry all the time, no full feeling. I think it is because both blessed thistle and domperidone are marketed at digestive aids. Another great blogger who documented her use:
        Overall, my supply is best when I pump frequently (I do about 6-7 times since I exclusively pump, averaging 20 min a session).

  2. you are taking so many pills for the milk production, does any of the fenugreek, cookie and tea work for real? I want to know for days that I notice supply drop a bit.

    I didn’t know you work in DC. driving to DC is definitely a pain, I am 10 miles away from work in DC and I spend anywhere from 30-60 min one way! 😦

    I think Kevin might want to go for the night earlier since he wakes up so early. the rule is 12 hours before wake up time to night time. if he stays too late, he will wake up often at night.

    we need to do a play day soon! 🙂 Sofia would love to meet Kevin! 🙂

    • I didn’t see a big difference in my supply when I took the fenugreek by itself, but when I combined it with blessed thistle I was able to pump almost double what I was pumping previously. So from 1.5-2.0 oz each time to about 3-3.5 oz. But then when my period returned it dropped again 😦 I’m still taking it hoping it will bring it up again though.

      We put the baby down tonight at 7 p.m. Hoping it helps him sleep better! Thanks for the tip 🙂

      I actually live in Stafford, VA and commute north to Woodbridge, so not all the way up to DC. Traffic is still bad though because of all the commuters! I would love to do a play date sometime. Things are pretty crazy for me at work until May and then they slow down. I think Kevin would love Sofia too!

  3. great! lets plan for June then, the weather would be nice too! 🙂

  4. Hey Katie – Another idea from ( – awesome website!) is a nursing vacation?? Basically they recommend spending the weekend home in bed with the baby, resting, eating, and nursing as often and as frequently as you can. The demand goes up, and so should your supply. Just another thing that might help. Baby Kevin is getting so big and even more adorable 🙂

  5. Maria Brouwers

    Hey Katie! I saw that Kevin falls asleep in the evening and then you guys wake him. I just wanted to let you know that Emma has an early bedtime and is a very good sleeper. She’s usually in bed between 6 to 7pm and she sleeps until 6 or 7am. I’ve found that the later she goes to bed the earlier she wakes up. It doesn’t make sense to me, but I’ve heard that happens with kids. She’s still like this even at 13 months old!

  6. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 6 Month Old (SPRING BREAK Edition) | Run Inspired

  7. Pingback: Day in the Life of a 7 Month Old | Run Inspired

  8. Pingback: Day in the Life with an 8 Month Old: Memorial Day | Run Inspired

  9. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 9 Month Old: SUMMER BREAK! | Run Inspired

  10. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 10 Month Old | Run Inspired

  11. Pingback: Day in the Life with an 11 Month Old | Run Inspired

  12. Pingback: Day in the Life with an 12 Month Old [My Birthday Edition!] | Run Inspired

  13. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 13 Month Old | Run Inspired

  14. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 14 Month Old | Run Inspired

  15. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 15 Month Old | Run Inspired

  16. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 16 Month Old (A Picture an Hour!) | Run Inspired

  17. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 17 Month Old (A Picture an Hour!) | Run Inspired

  18. Pingback: Day in the Life with an 18 Month Old | Run Inspired

  19. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 19 Month Old | Run Inspired

  20. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 21 Month Old: Summer Break! | Run Inspired

  21. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 22 Month Old | Run Inspired

  22. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 2 Year Old | Run Inspired

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s