A Day in the Life of a Working Mom with a 2 Month Old

When Baby Kevin was only two weeks old I did a “Day in the Life” post describing what we did over a 24 hour period of time. After rereading it I realized that a lot has changed since then! I feel like I have more of a handle on things now that he is older (9 weeks) and a little more predictable, and I went back to work. Returning to work has brought with it a whole bunch of new challenges and a new routine, so I thought now was a good time to document my day again. Here is how I spent Tuesday night into Wednesday!

10:30 p.m. Kevin and I go to bed after a long day at work. The baby has been sleeping since 10:00. We have been trying to get to bed earlier but it’s just not happening with all that we need to get done in the evenings when we get home.

2:50 a.m. Baby wakes up and needs to eat. He slept for almost 5 hours, which is pretty normal for him at this point. We can usually get a 4-6 hours out of him during his first sleep stretch of the night.

3:10 a.m. He finishes eating and Kevin goes to change his diaper. I go back to sleep!

4:40 a.m. My alarm goes off. SO EARLY. But it’s necessary if I want to run before work. I am really trying to do this when both of my boys are asleep rather than run in the afternoons. Running in the afternoon when Kevin gets home means I have to give up quality time with my boys. Now that I’m working again I want to spend as much awake time as possible with them! Plus, I have found that I feel better, happier, and more awake on the days I wake up earlier to run, despite not getting much sleep. I get dressed and go downstairs to pump before heading to the gym. I always need to either feed the baby or pump before running to make myself more comfortable. Since the baby wasn’t awake to eat I had to pump.

5:05 p.m. I left to drive a mile to the gym.

5:10 p.m. Arrive at the gym and start running! I run 3 miles in 25:21. I was feeling speedy! I hate the treadmill, but I have to use it if I want to run in the morning. We all know I can’t run in the dark anymore! See the below evidence…

5:40 p.m. I leave the gym and come home to my still sleeping boys. I hop in the shower, wake up Kevin so he can start getting ready, and get myself ready for the day as well.

6:15 a.m. Baby wakes up! Daddy is still getting ready for work and I’m pretty much finished (except for my hair which I let air dry) so I change his diaper and get him dressed for the day. One thing hasn’t changed- he still hates getting his diaper and clothes changed!


6:20 a.m. I take the baby downstairs to feed him while Kevin makes both of us breakfast and packs our lunches.

6:40 a.m. Kevin and I eat breakfast and drink coffee while the baby hangs out next to us. For breakfast I have my favorite banana oatmeal with peanut butter and raspberries.

7:05 a.m. I finish getting ready and make sure I have everything I need- school bag, lunch, pump, water bottle- my hands are full! While I do this baby hangs out with daddy. Our babysitter arrives and we talk for a few minutes before I have to leave.

7:30 a.m. I leave for work without crying for the first time ever! Then I sit in traffic on the way there. Gotta love 95 and Northern Virginia!

8:00 a.m. I arrive at school and rush to an 8 a.m. meeting.

8:30 a.m. Left the meeting a few minutes early to pump before the kids come. I am getting better at relaxing while pumping and it doesn’t take me as long most of the time, which is good!

8:45 a.m. Finish pumping and go to my classroom when the bell rings. I don’t have any pictures from my day because I am a teacher and obviously can’t put photos of my students on here. But just know that I am very busy during the work day and basically running around like a crazy person!

10:00 a.m. The kids go to specials (P.E., music, art, library, or technology) and I head to a meeting with my fifth grade team. I eat a snack of 2 hard boiled eggs in the meeting. Ideally I would like to be able to pump during this time, but we almost always have a meeting so I can’t.

10:45 a.m. I go to pick up the kids and we get back into what we were doing before specials. In the morning I teach Language Arts and Social Studies to one class, and then after lunch I teach the same subjects to another class.

12:20 p.m. I take the kids to lunch and practically run back to my room to pump and eat. By this time I’m pretty hungry and my boobs are desperately in need of emptying. I am usually frantically trying to get things done during my 30 minute lunch, but made an effort to take it easier today because the day before I SPILLED some of my milk by trying to multi-task too much. So sad! I forgot to take a picture of my lunch but it was a leftover Smoky Sweet Potato Burger on a sandwich thin with avocado, and some carrot sticks.

12:50 p.m. We go to recess for 10 minutes and then head back inside. My afternoon class comes into my room and teaching begins.

3:30 p.m. The students are dismissed and I have one last pumping session before heading home.

4:00 p.m. I leave school and sit in traffic on the way home. I also eat a Larabar for my afternoon snack.


4:45 p.m. I finally make it home and chat with our babysitter for a few minutes. When she leaves I sit down to feed the baby and give him a million kisses!

5:25 p.m. I start making dinner with baby smiling at me in the bouncer. I also prepare bottles for the next day.


5:50 p.m. Kevin gets home from work and immediately starts helping me in the kitchen. We are having a vegetable and chickpea stir fry over brown rice with Mmm Sauce. I forgot to start cooking the rice in the rice cooker so it takes way longer than expected for dinner to be ready. In the meantime we hang out and play with the baby.

6:30 p.m. I put away a ton of asparagus that I got from school. We have a grant for a fresh fruit and veggie program that provides the students with a variety of new foods for them to try 3 times a week. It’s an awesome program but many of the students refuse to eat some of the fruit and veggies, so I am often left with a bunch of food that will otherwise be thrown away. Rather than waste it I take it home and cook it, or freeze for later. Only one student tried the asparagus, so I had A LOT to take home.

7:00 p.m. Diaper change then baby needs to eat again!

7:20 p.m. Dinner is finally ready! It is sooooo good 🙂

7:40 p.m. After dinner the baby is sleeping so I work on some stuff for school: planning, grading, etc. A little while later I eat a mini coconut-milk ice cream sandwich for dessert. My favorite non-dairy treat!

9:00 p.m. Baby wakes up! Diaper change, feeding, and some cuddling too!


9:20 p.m. I could tell that baby was ready for bed, so I went upstairs to get him ready (pajamas, swaddle, vitamin D drops, sleep sheep) while Kevin cleaned up and did dishes downstairs. After eating one more time to top off his tank he passed out.

10:00 p.m.  We start getting ready for bed now that baby is asleep. I get clothes ready for work the next day and get all my running stuff together for the gym. We also make sure I have all my pump parts and bottles washed and ready for the next day.

10:30 p.m. Mommy and daddy go to bed, and do it all over again the next day!

In case you were wondering what baby was up to while I was at work- our babysitter writes everything down for us which I LOVE! Here was how his day went after we left.

  • 7:30 a.m. Mommy & daddy leave for work and he is awake and happy.
  • 8:25 a.m. Diaper change and bottle, then awake time.
  • 9:45 a.m. Long nap!
  • 12:00 p.m. Baby wakes up- diaper change and bottle, followed by happy awake time.
  • 1:30 p.m. Another diaper change- poop this time! He only goes every 2 days now.
  • 1:45 p.m. Nap
  • 2:00 p.m. Awake! It was only a short cat nap.
  • 2:30 p.m. Bottle, then awake time.
  • 3:40 p.m. Diaper change then nap
  • 4:00 p.m. And he’s awake again. Not sure what’s going on with these super short cat naps but he seems to be waking himself up. Hmm…
  • 4:45 p.m. Mommy’s home!

Once he is 3 months old we are going to try to get him on more of a schedule when it comes to sleeping. All the books I have read suggest waiting until this time, so we’re going with the flow until then. I like doing these day in the life posts every couple of months to see how things have changed, so I’ll do another one in a month or two!

24 Hour Totals

  • # of feedings: 9
  • # of diaper changes: 8
  • # of outfit changes: 2
  • # of hours of sleep for mom: ~6 hours
  • # of hours of sleep for baby: ~13 hours (usually a little more but he skipped his long afternoon nap)
  • # of hours spent nursing: 2 hours
  • # of hours spent pumping: 1 hour 20 minutes

24 responses to “A Day in the Life of a Working Mom with a 2 Month Old

  1. balancejoyanddelicias

    I love reading a day in life post! things definitely change as baby gets older.
    it’s great that younget to run before everyone is up. now that I’m still at home I workout in the afternoon, but imrealy enjoyed much more in the morning. I hope when i go back to work, I can workout in the morning. we will see how the schedule works. 4 am seems too early (although this is what I’m getting up nowadays to take the second shift of thr night but won’t work when I go back to work).

    how much is he drinking from the bottle? are u pumping exactly as much as he eats?

    • I love day in the life posts too! Getting up early to run is really hard, but I am always so glad that I did. Kevin has reflux and we try not to overfeed him so it doesn’t aggravate it more. While I am at work he gets three 3 ounce bottles and eats every 2-3 hours. I have issues with getting a lot when I pump, so this is about what I make daily too. I feed him myself right before I leave and as soon as I get home so this is working out for now!

  2. So great that you are getting up to run! You have such a busy day (and night). You are doing an amazing job 🙂

  3. Pingback: A Day in the Life with a 3 Month Old | Run Inspired

  4. Pingback: Day in the Life of a 4 Month Old (Weekend Edition) | Run Inspired

  5. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 5 Month Old | Run Inspired

  6. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 6 Month Old (SPRING BREAK Edition) | Run Inspired

  7. Pingback: Day in the Life of a 7 Month Old | Run Inspired

  8. jipfqfdvshi zgccoxh jkxpcb

  9. Pingback: Day in the Life with an 8 Month Old: Memorial Day | Run Inspired

  10. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 9 Month Old: SUMMER BREAK! | Run Inspired

  11. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 10 Month Old | Run Inspired

  12. Pingback: Day in the Life with an 11 Month Old | Run Inspired

  13. Pingback: Day in the Life with an 12 Month Old [My Birthday Edition!] | Run Inspired

  14. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 13 Month Old | Run Inspired

  15. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 14 Month Old | Run Inspired

  16. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 15 Month Old | Run Inspired

  17. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 16 Month Old (A Picture an Hour!) | Run Inspired

  18. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 17 Month Old (A Picture an Hour!) | Run Inspired

  19. Pingback: Day in the Life with an 18 Month Old | Run Inspired

  20. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 19 Month Old | Run Inspired

  21. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 21 Month Old: Summer Break! | Run Inspired

  22. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 22 Month Old | Run Inspired

  23. Pingback: Day in the Life with a 2 Year Old | Run Inspired

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s