I have written before about what I was loving in the first trimester, second trimester, and third trimester, and now that I’m almost 5 weeks post partum I thought it was time to share my current favorite things.
Here is what I’m loving and what has helped me survive the first few weeks of motherhood!
- My Husband. I have to put him first because he is honestly the one thing that has kept me sane. He has let me focus on the baby and has taken care of everything else- cleaning, laundry, bills, cooking, etc. He takes over baby duty when I need a break or want to run, and gets up to change diapers in the middle of the night. It has been amazing watching him as a father. He can calm the baby down in ways that even I can’t, and I love that they have that special bond.
- The Moby Wrap. This was a little challenging to figure out at first, but now that I’ve gotten the hang of it baby and I both love it. It is so nice to have him snuggled up against me, and it gives me a chance to get things done with two hands. The baby will fall asleep instantly when I put him in here, no matter how fussy he is. I think he likes being close and hearing my heartbeat. It’s also great for keeping him upright, which helps ease his reflux.
- Coffee. I limited coffee a lot during my pregnancy, only allowing myself a very small cup in the morning. I REALLY missed it, and now that I’m not pregnant anymore I’m enjoying it again. Not too much since I’m nursing, but this sleep deprived mama definitely needs it now more than ever!
- My iPhone. Wherever I am with the baby, my phone is always nearby. I love to use it to capture and share special moments (using my phone’s camera & Instagram), track baby’s activity (using the amazing Baby Connect app), calm him and get him to sleep (Pandora’s Rockabye Baby station is great, as well as the White Noise app), and for entertainment while nursing (using Newsify to catch up on my favorite blogs, the BabyCenter app, and of course Facebook). What did moms do before technology? 🙂 Are they any other great apps that I need to know about?
- Nursing Bras & Tank Tops. I live in these! They make life and nursing so much easier and more convenient. I have mostly Bravado brand bras and tanks and they are my favorite. They are easy to unsnap and really comfortable. I have these nursing bras and these nursing tanks and I bought them from Target and Amazon. I’ve worn the black one below by itself- it’s just like a regular tank top!
- Nursing Pads. I don’t know what I would do without nursing pads. Well, actually I do know. I would leak all over the place! I don’t know if this is normal or not, but I am leaking constantly, and if I don’t wear nursing pads day and night I will soak through my shirts. I like the Lansinoh disposable nursing pads the best. I have tried the reusable ones that you can wash but they are not absorbent enough, and get wet way too quickly.
- Nursing Cover. Another nursing item- but hey, that is what I spend most of my time doing these days! This cover has allowed me to feel comfortable feeding Kevin wherever we are, which is really important to me since I’m a pretty modest person. Baby’s gotta eat!
- Laying on my Stomach. Ahhh, I missed this so much during my pregnancy! It feels so good to be able to do this again, plus it is the perfect position for back rubs from my hubby 🙂
- Wine. I am not a huge drinker (anymore… I did have my fun in college though!) but I really enjoy having a glass or wine or two in the evening. It’s a little more complicated now because I have to time it with nursing, but it’s so nice to be able to unwind with some wine every once in a while.
- The 5 S’s. If you are a new mom and haven’t heard of Dr. Harvey Karp, you need to go get yourself his book, The Happiest Baby on the Block. It’s all about how to calm your newborn using the 5 S techniques- swaddling, side lying, shushing, swinging, and sucking. They really work and have been a lifesaver for us! I’m currently reading his other book about sleep. I’ll let you know how that one is when I finish it!
- Mommy Friends. Oh my mommy friends! What would I do without you! Whether it’s on Facebook, BabyCenter, or all of you who read and comment on my blog- I appreciate and love you all for the suggestions and “been there, done that” advice! It is so helpful as a first time mom to hear from moms with experience and makes me feel a lot better when I’m not having a good day.
- Google. Google is seriously my best friend lately. I am constantly looking things up that I’m curious about. I love getting advice from my mommy friends, but you can’t beat the convenience of Dr. Google!
- This Face. Need I say more? He is our world and we love him so much!
Other mamas – what are some things that you loved post partum, or things you love as a mom in general? I’d love to hear your thoughts!