Ahhh! I am so behind on my run streak recaps! Kevin and are both still streaking, but we were on vacation on the west coast last week. Anyone with a toddler knows that vacations are pretty much the opposite of relaxing, so I didn’t have any time to blog while I was there. I had an amazing time and have so much to share, which I will do in a separate post later this week. But first, here’s my recap of week 8 and 9 of our running streak! Brace yourself, this is a long one!
Katie’s Miles (7/14 – 7/20)
- Monday: 2 miles @ ?. I met my friend Gina for sprints at the track again! I ran a couple laps before she got there, then we sprinted the long sides and walked the short sides. After that we did some killer bench step-ups and the first 3 tracks of the new CXWorx release so she could practice for the launch the next day- love having a fitness instructor as a friend and workout buddy :) While we were working out our boys played in the middle of the track. It was a great and very sweaty morning!
- Tuesday: 3 miles @ 9:31. Kevin warned me when I got in from my run that it was super humid out and he wasn’t kidding. Wow, this run was tough! I felt like I was running through the thickest air. Afterwards I was very much looking forward to going to Oregon on Thursday and running where it’s cooler and much less humid!
- Wednesday: 3 miles @ 8:55. We were flying to Oregon early the next day so I spent all day running errands and packing. I didn’t get out to run until after 5 p.m. and I was expecting it to be tough, but it was actually amazing outside! Even though it was warm out the humidity was only 48% and I could actually run semi-fast again! I was so happy- what a nice gift :)
- Thursday: 1 mile @ 10:07. Wow you guys. We almost broke the streak today. We woke up at 2:30 a.m. and caught a super early flight out of DC to San Francisco, and then another flight to Portland, Oregon. It was a long day, and flying with an almost 2 year old made it 1000x more difficult. On the way to our hotel we stopped to see my aunt at her house, and by the time we got to where we were staying it was 3:30 (6:30 eastern time), we were exhausted and starving. But we headed out to do just 1 mile for the streak and it was the hardest mile I have run in a LONG time. It was super slow but we got it done. I couldn’t wait to get some rest and get out again the next day when I could actually enjoy it!
- Friday: 5 miles @ 10:04. One of my favorite runs so far in the streak! I ran 5 miles along the path that goes along the river and across the bridges in Portland with my sister. It felt amazing outside, temperatures in the low 60s with no humidity- pretty much perfect! The views were beautiful and the miles flew by pretty effortlessly.
- Saturday: 11 miles @ 9:33. Another great one. I left the hotel at 6:30 a.m. to do a long run and didn’t really know how long I would go, I just wanted to do at least 8 miles. One of my favorite parts of traveling is exploring new places by running, so I just kept going and before I knew it I was at 11 miles! One of the coolest parts of Portland is how you can go from the city straight into nature in no time. I feel like I got my own special tour today.
- Sunday: 5 miles @ 9:35. After attending my cousin’s beautiful wedding the night before, I wasn’t sure how much I would feel like running the next morning. I went out thinking I would do 2 or 3 but running just felt so easy in Portland! I ended up doing 5 easy miles and took a bunch of photo breaks to help me document and remember my time here. The next day we were headed to Bend, Oregon (probably my favorite place in the U.S.) for the second part of our trip and I couldn’t wait!
- Total Miles This Week: 30
- Total Miles So Far: 236
- Total Days Streaking: 58
Kevin’s Miles (7/14 – 7/20)
- Monday: 1 mile @ 8:04.
- Tuesday: 2 miles @ 8:40.
- Wednesday: 2 miles @ 7:18.
- Thursday: 1 mile @ 10:07. (Traveled to Oregon)
- Friday: 3 miles @ 8:42.
- Saturday: 3 miles @ 9:48.
- Sunday: 1 mile @ 9:10.
- Total Miles This Week: 13
- Total Miles So Far: 110.8
- Total Days Streaking: 57
Rather that write about each of my runs (because they’re so short they aren’t really memorable most of the time), I am going to write a few sentences about my week in general. It was really great to be able to go to a different place and run after always running in the same place over and over again. It was fun running in the city but I especially liked being by the water where I could zone out and not worry about traffic lights.
Katie’s Miles (7/21 – 7/27)
- Monday: 3 miles @ 9:29. Bend, Oregon is one of my favorite places ever! Although it’s harder to run there due to being at 4,000 feet elevation, the scenery just can’t be beat! It just doesn’t get more beautiful than this. I was so happy to be able to run there for a few days.
- Tuesday: 2 miles @ 9:32. This is reason #273846 why I love Bend. On a random Tuesday night they had a “Float Run” event, where we were going to run from the local running store to the river, floated down it on rafts, then had root beer & Deschutes brewery Black Butte Porter floats. Unfortunately it was raining with some lightning so we couldn’t float down the river, but Kevin, my sister and I still did our run and had ice cream floats. It was so much fun!!!
- Wednesday: 6 miles @ 9:10. I had been itching to get out for a longer morning run since we got to Bend, and I was finally able to on this day! It was a beautiful and cool morning, and I ran from my aunt’s house down to the river trail and came back. It was a LOT of uphill on the way back but I felt surprisingly good. I didn’t feel as out of breath due to the altitude as I did on my last few runs. On this run I decided we need to move here :).
- Thursday: 3 miles @ 9:14. was a lot of fun! The whole family wanted to walk on the river trail, so my sister, husband and I decided to run and meet them there. It was about 2.5 miles from my aunt and uncle’s house, but I went a little farther to make it 3. After the run we did a 3 mile walking loop on the trail alongside the beautiful Deschutes River. It felt great to do something active with the entire family!
- Friday: 2 miles @ 8:43. I only had time for a quick run before we left for the airport early that day to go back to Virginia. It was a beautiful, crisp and clear morning- only 44 degrees which actually felt amazing! I ran around my aunt and uncle’s neighborhood and took in one of my favorite views- the river that runs behind their house. I wish I had more time to run on our last day. Really going to miss the beautiful state of Oregon and all of my family that lives here!
- Saturday: 2 miles @ 9:39. Hello Virginia and all of your heat and humidity! Really did not miss that while I was on the west coast! After more than 15 hours of traveling that included a 4 hour car ride and 2 flights we finally got home at 2 am Saturday morning. Needless to say we are all exhausted the rest of the day! A slow 2 miler was all we could handle, and was definitely enough!
- Sunday: 9 miles @ 10:39. I had a long run with my running group planned this morning and then woke up to heavy rain. There was a thunderstorm in the forecast, so we pushed our start time back a little bit. That was a good choice because when we got started the rain had stopped and it ended up being a great run! Kevin came and did 4 with Kev in the stroller, one of my friends cut the loop we were running a little short and did 7, and I ran 9 with another friend. It felt good to be with my running buddies and helped me not notice the humidity as much :)
- Total Miles This Week: 27
- Total Miles So Far: 263
- Total Days Streaking: 65
Kevin’s Miles (7/21 – 7/27)
- Monday: 2 miles @ 8:40.
- Tuesday: 2 miles @ 9:34. (Float run!!!)
- Wednesday: 3 miles @ 9:37.
- Thursday: 2.5 miles @ 9:15.
- Friday: 1 mile @ 7:51.
- Saturday: 2 miles @ 9:40.
- Sunday: 4 miles @ ?. (Ran back after running 2 miles with Katie and her girls and she had the Garmin).
- Total Miles This Week: 16.5
- Total Miles So Far: 127.3
- Total Days Streaking: 64
It was fun running in Bend, another new place. It was quiet, amazing weather and I got to do things like run and drink beer floats afterwards. Then I got sad because I had to come back to this hot hellhole. Boo!
And that wraps up week 8 & 9! I’m excited for this week because I have 3 runs planned with friends! I am seriously LOVING running with other people lately. It makes me happy :) Onto week 10! Hard to believe we are entering double digits!